The Learning Center
The Learning Center (TLC) was established to provide a unique and essential service to students with language-based learning differences by offering an alternative to traditional education. TLC at Harrells Christian Academy creates a teaching environment that removes major obstacles for learning.
The primary focus of TLC is to provide a small group or one-on-one language instruction to facilitate deveopment of skills needed to successfully read, write, and spell. Math and intensive study services are also available during the school day. Intensive Studies focuses on teaching students the strategies to become independent, responsible learners.
By placing the students in a more suitable condition for learning, students will close the gap between their achievement and their potential. Teacher-student ratios of 1 to 3 allows for individualized instruction in the core areas of greatest needs.
Students enrolled in TLC come from the regular classroom and participate in all programs except the area where focused instruction is required.
Multisensory Language Instruction
Instruction is direct, sequential, multisensory, and diagnostic in nature. Phonemic awareness, decoding, fluency, reading comprehension, spelling, and sentence and paragraph formation through research-based specialized instruction is the major focus in TLC.
Skills are taught in an intensive, structured, and individualized manner using auditory, visual and kinesthetic methods. The goal of TLC is to equip students with the skills necessary to perform within the regular classroom setting.
• Daily lessons in phonics, reading, spelling, grammar, and writing using the Orton-Gillingham Multisensory approach (K-12)
• Math instruction (K-8)
• Intensive study services (6-12)
• A state of the art cumputer lab with Kurzweil software that enables students to become independent learners and active classroom participants
• Yearly pre and post testing assessments
• Early intervention for Kindergarten students through the use of Predictive Assessment of Reading (P.A.R.)
• Students must be enrolled at Harrells Christian Academy
• Students must have a current psychoeducational evaluation indicating a language-based learning difference.
Additional tuition charges apply.